Biography

Gallery

Research & Development

Services

Contact



Planeliner   View more here...

...the transition between plane and line.

The geometric foundation of this sculpture is a simple equation.  The combination of a few proportioned elements set together in a consistent system can generate an event of resounding clarity.


The name "Planeliner" refers to the specific geometric progression therein.  A series of profiled plates are placed concentrically on top of each other.  The plate above the previous is smaller in diameter by a constant percentage, the thickness of the plates remain constant throughout.  In side-elevation an exponential curve is generated.


The percentage reduction in diameter which is set at -10 percent (always leaving 90 percent at each level) means the system is infinite.  On viewing this sculpture one is experiencing a small section of an endless progression.  The event stretches forever towards a plane at the base, and a line at its apex; although theoretically never reaching either.
simonthomas-sculpture.com

Website designed and built by burnIT